Westwind Window Heat

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #461 by Mark
Westwind Window Heat was created by Mark
The forward left/right windows on Westwinds are actually two separate window assemblies. The inner window's main function is for pressurization. The outer, for heat. The sensor and heater elements in the outer window are connected via some unusual spring loaded points.

There are six threaded inserts in the inner window assembly. Four are used for window heat (Two separate heating elements are used). The remaining contacts are for the temperature sensor output.

One of the (very rusted) spring loaded contacts.

These windows use 28VDC for heat. The current needed for heating with DC is quite high. 12 gauge wire is used to carry the load. To access the aircraft connection points requires some significant gutting.

A single terminal strip is used for connecting the two heater power wires. A frame ground is used for the power return wires. This is located on the left wall of the center instrument area.

Westwind AMM 56-10-01 and 30-40-00
AWM 30-40-02
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #462 by jake ounce
Replied by jake ounce on topic Westwind Window Heat
Very interesting Mark! Looks congested in there! Does the window come out as one assembly?

More
6 years 4 months ago #465 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Westwind Window Heat
Actually, it was quite an intensive job. All the wiring runs are located at the bottom of the window. The four contacts (and wires) at the front were difficult. Everything is buried in a sea of sealant.

Glare-shield off, instruments out, and the defog duct removed. I cracked (snapped off) the duct at the "T-Fitting" where the flexible air hose attaches. It was brittle to start with. We used 5+ tubes of sealant on the install, there was plenty available for reconnecting the "T".

And...... all the damn adel clamps that needed safety wire to hold them together to get the mount bolts started. Finger strength is fading at my age.

More
6 years 4 months ago #468 by jake ounce
Replied by jake ounce on topic Westwind Window Heat
I have worked small aircraft too, and there is No room for mechs to work especially behind or under glare shield. Adel clamps, in tight areas, are always fun. I heard there are new Adel clamp colors out !

Time to create page: 0.674 seconds