Weather radar-windshear detection

More
1 year 5 days ago #957 by dynamics
Mark, I sent two email. Refer to email with subject "whether radar":
1-can you find out from attached explanation whether the whether radar system is capable of windshear detection and avoidance?
2-how can I find out if Rockwell Collins WRT-701X transceiver P/N:622-5132-109 has the above mentioned capability?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 days ago #959 by Mark
Try these two to start with.

I'll have more to discuss when I can.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

More
1 year 5 days ago #961 by Mark
Having windshear incorporated into the weather radar was a great idea. I worked on several FedEx aircraft with the system.

Radar derived windshear is "proactive". It can warn you "before" actually encountering it. EGPWS derived windshear is "reactive". It lets you know you're actually "in" a windshear condition.

As far as your question goes..... It looks like there are several part numbers for this model. I can't figure out which ones might have windshear.

You can get the answer though..... Do a test of the weather radar. It should give a aural warning if it has it. Your schematics should also reflect if it is installed. Most likely there are some outputs from the RT that go to the audio system or warning lights.

More
1 year 4 days ago #962 by dynamics
Mark, from performance solutions I understand that it is applicable to row WRT-701X/622-5132-xxxx so it is not capable of wind shear detection. By the way the question raised for me is that whether for P/N:622-5132-62x Model WRT-701X that has a software for wind shear, the antenna should be changed? Because I believe presumably bigger antenna should be used or Doppler Lidar?!

Would you advise me how to figure out if EGPWS provide reactive shear detection?

More
1 year 3 days ago #963 by Mark
I don't know about antenna size changes for windshear WX systems.

One of the main functions of EGPWS or TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning Systems) is windshear recognition and warning.

Through the use of Air Data, Radio Altitude, Accelerometers, and IRS..... the systems sense actual deteriration of horizontal vs vertical flight performance. Once the downward envelope theshold has been breached, the system warns the crew.

It is "reactive". The aircraft must be "in" a windshear situation for warnings to occur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dynamics

Time to create page: 0.744 seconds