Cabin Flood Indicator INOP

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #1487 by OG GarlicSalt
Working on a Hawker 900XP pilot reported cabin flood valve indication always full.

After doing some initial trouble shooting I find that the valve is operating and that the potentiometer that is responsible for the indication is turning with the valve (located behind the aft monuments behind lav sink/closet). After checking this I went into the flight deck to get some readings at the indicator.

Indication on the left non responsive

Once inside i did a few checks

First thing I wanted to check the potentiometer 10k resistor and see what the readings were. I checked both from GND-REF and got about 10K ohms on both.

Next I checked from GND-SNG to see what was the OHMs output as the valve is moving.

I found that the on the working Floor indicator the OHM reading ranged from about 300ohms at valve closed to 5.5k ohms at valve open. I then found on the broken flood indicator that that when the valve was physically in the full closed position im getting a reading of 5k ohms and physically full closed 8k ohms. So seems that we have found our culprit.

Even though at this point im 95% of the potentiometer being bad i wanted to fully check the indication downstream. So i made a jumper to jump the signal input to both sides of the indicator.

So I hooked up with full jumper set but with the floor valve signal wire going to both sides of the indicator. As i suspected in this setup the indicator was moving on both sides with the floor valve operations. Telling me 100% the potentiometer is the culprit. Also if i didn't have the other floor valve so easily accessible an indicator like this could also be checked with a decade box.

After changing the potentiometer out the indication was good as new.

Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #1488 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Cabin Flood Indicator INOP
I created a ATA 21 under Hawker and moved your post there.

Great find. I forgot Hawkers use different nomenclature for some systems. "Flood" is normally associated with lights, but I'm guessing these would be the overhead vents in the cabin??? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.785 seconds