Weather Radar Sweep

More
2 months 1 week ago #1509 by Mark
Weather Radar Sweep was created by Mark
I'm not a video editor expert by any means, but I had a little luck with this one.

I had heard a long time ago (when aircraft weather radar antennas changed from parabolic to flat plates that what you saw as a smooth sweep was really a "stepper" sweep.

The old parabolic antennas did have an actual (non-stopping) sweep. The indicator just showed green "blotches" of different darkness representing storm intensity. When color radar appeared, a flat plate was used. Looking at it run at normal speed..... it appeared to be a smooth sweep. When you grab it, you can't feel it stopping and going.

I used an IPhone and recorded at slow motion. I would guess maybe a quarter speed. The first few seconds of the following video show full speed, then it slows down.

I used VLC on a Linux computer and slowed it "way" down and screen recorded it. Other than a couple small glitches, you can clearly see the plate stopping, moving slightly, and stopping again.

What the radar is doing is what I call a "Stop and Pop". It stops, blasts out a microwave burst, waits for a return and moves on for the next transmit cycle.

The following user(s) said Thank You: OG GarlicSalt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.688 seconds