Flight/Ground Spoilers Inspection

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #888 by dynamics
The steps to be done for inspection of Flight/Ground spoilers are outlined below:
1-supply electric power
2-supply hydraulic power
3-Move Flaps control lever to extend the T/E flap
4-Move the speed brake lever to UP
5-Remove hydraulic power
6-install ground lock on spoilers
7-Remove electrical power
8-do inspection
9-remove ground lock
10-supply electrical power
11-supply hydraulic power
12-Move the speed brake to the DOWN
13-Move the Flap control lever to retract the T/E flap
14-Remove hydraulic power
15-Remove electrical power

So why electric/hydraulic power has to be suppliedĀ (steps 10 &11) before moving speed brake lever to DOWN position?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #889 by Mark
Ā 
Ā Ā 

Ā Ā 
A spoiler with a "tight" hydraulic actuator (not bypassing or leaking) will maintain its last commanded position.

It takes all three (electrical power, hydraulic pressure, and the handle being moved into down position before they lower themselves. I guess you could lower the handle first, but I would think safe work practices are the reason why Boeing placed the procedural order as they did.

Most mechanics, upon hearing the hydraulic pumps come on are going to pull their hands (arms, legs, body) away from any flight control. If the spoiler handle was stowed first..... as soon as pressure hit..... they would slam down, giving a mechanic in harms way no time to react.

It is a known rule "not" to apply hydraulics until everyone near (on/under) a aircraft has been informed.

I would be leery to be around a spoiler (even with the actuator lock installed) with hydraulics on.

Actuator valves do leak. I've seen spoilers up with the handle down just off of accumulator pressure. I've seen spoilers come down when selected up without hydraulic power. Most mechanics are going to safety tag flight control handles and pull the hydraulic pump breakers before work starts.
Ā Ā 
Ā Ā 
Ā 
Ā Ā 

Ā 
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Mark.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #891 by dynamics
Although I cannot estimate approximate weight of each spoiler panel,
Is it possible to remove hydraulic power and move the panels up/down manually
by hand?

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #892 by Mark
I haven't messed with any spoilers as of late, but yes, a spoiler panel can usually be lifted by hand (with some resistance).

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #893 by dynamics
how ground lock is installed in a spoiler? Is it possible to lift spoiler by hand (no hydraulic power) and then install the ground lock for subsequent inspection of the panel?

More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #894 by Mark
I can't find a picture online or in my stash. The lockout is just a "C" shaped block that fits around the actuator piston rod to keep it from retracting.

I'd deploy the spoilers hydraulically..... kill and tag the pumps..... and then install lock.
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Mark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dynamics

Time to create page: 0.754 seconds