Amp Clamp

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #319 by Mark
Amp Clamp was created by Mark
The amp clamp is used for measuring current flow through a wire. The use of the unit for aircraft troubleshooting is limited to three phase power applications.

The general rule for clamp operation is to isolate ONE wire only. The unit is not accurate when placed around two or more wires.

Comparison of the three power input legs on fuel pumps and electric actuators can help with verifying a missing or low current leg.

Quick Notes on Three-Phase Power

1. All three phase power from the engine driven generators to the distribution busses is monitored with CT's or current transformers. Any imbalance measured will cause the automatic disconnection of the affected system.
  2. Most aircraft devices that require high three phase power are also monitored with CT’s. Imbalances that exceed a predefined limit will usually cause the device to be disconnected from the power source.
  3. Some manufacturer installations for three phase motors do not use CT’s. A single, three phase circuit breaker is used for control. Open or low leg(s) will cause the current draw on the good leg(s) to go up, resulting in the breaker popping.
  4. EXTREME CAUTION should be taken when working with power wires. 115VAC/400Hz should always be treated with respect.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #324 by jake ounce
Replied by jake ounce on topic Amp Clamp
I use this on my cars to check the health of charging system and components! Never used it at work, yet.

More
6 years 11 months ago #326 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Amp Clamp
I found a AC/DC amp clamp a while back. I've used the DC side a heck of a lot more than the AC. Used it on both wings and wheels.

Time to create page: 0.622 seconds