GNS 5890 ADS-B Receiver

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #145 by Mark
GNS 5890 ADS-B Receiver was created by Mark
If you would like to try a ADS-B receiver at home, this unit comes highly recommended. An ADS-B receiver can be used standalone or added to the ground based radar systems used by FlightAware and Flightradar24. ( I personally favor Flightradar24's site)

Company Link - Amazon Link - Driver Install

GNS 5890 ADS-B Receiver

Amazon Link

The GNS 5890 works also under Windows 10.

At first please disable driver signature in Windows 10 (see Windows 10 manual or see attachment).

Then GNS 5890 can be used in Windows 10 in the following way:

- Open the device manager (right click on the lower-left corner, then a power user shortcut menu appears. There select “Device Manager”)

- Go in Device Manager to “Other devices”. The GNS 5890 is shown with a yellow mark.

- Select GNS 5890 and open the device menu and choose “Update Driver Software”.

- The Update Driver Software menu opens and select there “Browse my computer for drivers software”

- Click on “Browse” and choose the driver name of the inserted GNS 5890 driver CD and click on Drivers & OK (Do not use “autostart menu” of GNS 5890 driver CD for installing the driver)

- Click on “Next”. Then the driver will be installed. Finally click on “Close”

Please pass over the warnings for uncertified driver windows during the installation.

- Then GNS 5890 is listed under “Ports (LPT & COM) with a COM port number.
This COM port number has to be selected in ADSBscope (select com port) and then GNS 5890 can be started by ADSB scope with “Connect”.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 1 month ago #147 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic GNS 5890 ADS-B Receiver
T-KIAH6 Radar Feed to Flightradar24

N29.9768 W95.3441

Removed old analog TV antenna and placed ADS-B antenna on top of pole. (Digital TV antenna located directly below.)
Cable run to MX office feeding ASUS micro computer with GNS5890 USB dongle receiver.

Because FedEx blocks most, if not all ports, I had to purchase a mobile hotspot for the feed. T-Mobile (which usually sucks almost everywhere you go) has a tower near terminal "C" here at the airport. Getting about 10Mb up and down for speed.

I think FR24 prefers their supplied receivers (designated by an "F" instead of a "T") over receivers supplied by individuals, but I seem to have quite a few non-airport hits also.

I've got the airport covered. My receiver's range is about 200 nautical miles maximum, with 100 being nominal.

I've seen T-KIAH5 covering the north side of the airport at times. I think this is someone who feeds during work hours only.

When I follow an aircraft through takeoff, I see either Galveston, David Wayne Hooks, or College Station snatch it from me around 2K altitude. And somebody with the receiver T-KAAP must have a damn good setup also. I have had aircraft stay with T-KIAH6 out into the gulf and up to around Cleveland, Texas before they drop me.

I can watch the actual ADS-B bursts and display the aircraft with a program called ADSB-Scope . There is about a 3-5 second difference from actual aircraft position ATC output burst until it displays on FR24's map.

jollain.com/FR24/stats.php
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Mark.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150 by Mark

More
8 years 2 months ago #152 by Mark

Time to create page: 0.766 seconds